After such a great response to my post on my noshampoo adventures, I am thrilled to know that some of you are interested in a “how to” so you can try it for yourselves. For males, it is easier to go noshampoo, because with less hair, they truly can also just use no shampoo. For females, however, with all of our lovely locks, it requires a little more effort and a few more steps. But believe me, it’s totally worth it.
Baking Soda and Vinegar No Shampoo Method
- 500 mL Plastic cup
- Baking soda
- Apple cider vinegar
- Using the plastic cup, add 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 3/4 cup of hot water.
- Mix with your hand, or by swirling the cup, until all the soda has dissolved.
- Pour this mixture onto your scalp along the part in your hair, massaging it in as you go. I usually pour a bit, massage, pour a bit massage etc., working from the front to back of my part.
- Wait 1-2 minutes and then fully rinse your scalp.
- Once your soda mixture is gone and rinsed, pour two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the cup and dilute with one cup of water.
- Pour this mixture into the bottom parts of your hair (not your scalp). I usually do this by just lowering sections of my hair into the cup and submerging them in there for a few seconds. To get the rest of my hair, I tilt my head to on side and pour on, and then repeat on the other side.
- Give your hair a final rinse and voila: clean!
- I have thick, long, wavy hair, so these amounts have been adjusted to the amount of hair I have and the amount of soda/vinegar I need. Play around with the amounts to find the right ratios for your hair.
- I keep all of the materials in the bathroom, pour the soda in the cup on the counter and take that and the vinegar in the shower with me. I add the water in the shower as I stand there.
- I wrap my hair in an old t-shirt to dry, not a towel. When I went noshampoo, I did some reading and learned that this alternative may also help with frizzy hair. Give it a try!
- The instructions above are the method I have used for the last ten months which has brought me overwhelming success. Because it has been working for me, I have not tried anything else, but I have heard of other options you can try as a noshampoo regime. See below for some links on other alternatives and further information:
It really is that simple. It takes a couple times to get used to in terms of mixing everything up, figuring out the ratios etc., but once you do, it all happens in a jiff. Eventually you won’t even need to measure any more and you will get good enough to just eye ball it! Let me know if you have any questions, comments or feedback on how it works for you. For now, go buy yourself some soda and vinegar and go for it. You just might be surprised at how well you like it!